Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS606076
John Tonkin College Education Support Centre (ESC) are seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year.
Suitable applicants will, with teacher direction and limited supervision, assist in the delivery of planned education programs; implement individual or small group programs or demonstrations and be able to provide valuable feedback to support student learning. They will support students with emotional regulation and social emotional development with positive behaviour support practices. They will assist with the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment by maintaining equipment, materials and resources, for use in classes, displays and demonstration, and assisting the teacher with clean and safe storage of items after classes and activities. They will support with the care and supervision of students in all aspects of the curriculum such as out-of-class activities, school excursions, workplace learning, further education opportunities and recreation.
Prior experience working with students with special needs, working in a kitchen and workshop as well as in visual arts would be considered advantageous. Experience with therapy programs such as Hydrotherapy and RDA (Riding for Disabled) is highly desirable,
Located approximately 80 kilometres south west of Perth, John Tonkin College ESC, is situated on the Mandurah Education and Training Campus alongside John Tonkin College, South Metro TAFE and Murdoch University. We deliver a broad range of educational experiences to meet the needs of Year 11 and 12 students with intellectual disabilities. Our purpose is to educate and develop the whole person in order to create a sense of belonging and active engagement within the community.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about John Tonkin College Education Support Centre can be found by visiting www.johntonkincollegeesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information
Please contact Patricia Magno, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9583 7333 or emailing Patricia.Magno@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 22 November 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.