Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS598049
Paraburdoo Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent, fixed term and casual, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2019 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2020. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements with in the 2019 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2020.
If you are thinking of applying for a position in this pool it is strongly recommended that you read the details below carefully and ensure your application matches the context of the advertised position.
Suitable applicants will, under school leader or teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs. They will also assist the teaching staff in the delivery of differentiated, individualised learning programs linked to student’s Individual Education Plan, the Western Australian Curriculum, and for some students, Abilities Based Learning Education in promoting a supportive inclusive learning environment. This includes the operation of computers and digital technologies. When required, they will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
As Paraburdoo PS is the only primary school in the area, we see a wide range of diverse needs amongst our children, this means to be able to effectively work in the area of Special Needs you must demonstrate the willingness to be flexible, to work across the full spectrum of mental health, developmental disabilities, physical disabilities and/or disorders which may present at our school.
It is desirable that suitable applicants have training and experience in programs such as Team Teach, Zones of Regulation and Values Education. They should also possess strong communication skills, the ability to keep comprehensive records, and be confident in the use of digital technology.
Suitable applicants will also understand that social-emotional skills and positive student behaviour need to be explicitly modelled and taught on a daily basis. They will be able to create and maintain safe, engaging and caring learning environments that promote positive relationships and behaviours. They will fully support and implement whole school behaviour management.
Suitable applicants will need to possess and consistently demonstrate excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills as well as the ability to work in a highly collaborative manner.
Paraburdoo PS caters for approximately 200 to 220 students from Kindergarten to Year 6 in the Ashburton Shire of the Pilbara. It is the only school in town with enrolments fluctuating depending on the strength of the mining industry.
Our school is dedicated to providing a safe and supportive learning environment for our students, helping them to fulfil their potential and realise their goals. Our teachers and support staff have a clear, shared vision where we work with families to nurture and inspire lifelong learning. Our collaborative and cooperative culture ensures our staff work in an environment of continual learning and development so they can deliver a range of high quality learning opportunities to stimulate and challenge each student's individual needs and talents.
As an Independent Public School, our challenge is to further develop our students as successful, motivated learners who strive to achieve. Paraburdoo Primary School works as a 'whole' school where there are professional standards, expectations and alignment between year levels.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Paraburdoo Primary School can be found by visiting www.paraburdooprimaryschool.wa.edu.au or Schools Online .
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Grant Moir, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Paraburdoo, by telephoning (08) 9189 5353 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 14 November, 2019.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.