Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS599673
Please be advised that as of 1:00pm on 14 October 2019 there has been a correction to the commencement date of this appointment
This is a three (3) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 4, 2019 with possible extension and/or permanency
Northam Senior High School are seeking to appoint a motivated and hardworking Student Support Officer to join our friendly team.
The role of the Student Support Officer involves developing supportive links between the student, the family, the school and other appropriate agencies in the community and establishes a network of partnerships with other government and non-government agencies. Suitable applicants will ideally have previous experience in a similar position working with children and adolescents, as well as possess strong communication and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to work collaboratively and as part of a case management team under the direction of the Manager of Student Services. Suitable applicants will actively participate in multidisciplinary team meetings to support students, including the provision of information and consultancy advice as required.
The Student Support Officer will assist with the implementation of a range of school strategies to improve aspects such as student behaviour, attendance and pastoral care. An ability to maintain information and record systems and collate and prepare information for case conferences will be necessary.
Northam SHS opened in 1921 and is one of the oldest Senior High Schools in Western Australia. Northam SHS draws its student population from Northam and surrounding communities. There is a focus on providing ATAR, General and VET pathways for students in the school, matching their educational goals. The school has a significant portion of students from challenging backgrounds and has a Clontarf Academy, Wirrpanda Girls program, Follow The Dream and an Engagement Program to support the opportunities for students.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to provide a professional, confidential service to a range of clients.
- good interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- experience in the use of computerised management information systems including database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- effective organisational skills and experience in providing administrative support with the ability to manage conflicting timelines.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Northam Senior High School can be found by visiting Schools Online
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Marie-Francoise Carroll, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Northam, by telephoning (08) 9621 0000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 23 October 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.