Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS601444
This is a three (3) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 4, 2019 with possible extension and/or permanency
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
Derby District High School (DHS) is seeking an enthusiastic and reliable individual to join their team in the role of Student Support Officer
The successful applicant will need to have highly developed interpersonal skills and work well as part of a team. They will need to have well developed strategies and skills to deal with students, staff and families in a variety of situations. They will be required to implement a range of interventions, programs and initiatives that promote improved outcomes for students. This may be mentoring, counselling, conflict resolution, assisting in restoring attendance, assessing levels of risk, inter-agency linkage and case management. You will be required to maintain comprehensive records and adopt a collaborative and consultative approach at all times. The Student Support Officer may spend time interacting with students during breaks or in the classroom.
Derby DHS is located in Derby which is situated at the southern end of King Sound in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. With an enrolment of just over 500 students it provides an education program for students from Kindergarten to Year 12. Students attend the school from the town of Derby and outlying areas including the Aboriginal Communities of Mowanjum and Pandanus.
Many of the school's staff have been at the school for some time which creates stability for the school's programs and a knowledge of the ongoing needs and interests of the students that can be addressed in the programs. With the school motto 'Diligence, Courage and Strength', students work towards high standards of academic and social achievement through participation and engagement in the school's inclusive, safe and stimulating learning environments.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships.
- Effective planning and organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing prioritises within timelines.
- Good research, conceptual and analytical skills, including the ability to identify problems and provide solutions.
- Skills and experience in working with individual or small groups of students experiencing difficulties.
- Knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations and services.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Derby District High School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Stephen Palandri (Principal) during school holidays on 0423 096 737, alternatively during school term please contact Geoff MacNicol (Coordinator Student Services) for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Derby, by telephoning (08) 9193 3000 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three-four (3-4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three-four (3-4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday 21st October, 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.