Please note that as of Tuesday, 8 October 2019 the level/classification of this vacancy has been amended.
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA601014
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2020
Busselton Senior High School (SHS) is seeking applications from committed and passionate professionals with experience leading teams, to undertake the role of Head of Learning Area (HOLA) - Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS), commencing in Term 1, 2020.
In collaboration with the Principal and members of the Senior Leadership Team, the HOLA – HASS will continually drive improvement by providing proactive leadership that is collaborative, inspiring and supportive. The successful applicant will lead by example with high expectations and promote the school’s vision by supporting the implementation of the current and future Business Plans. You will be responsible for embedding a Professional Learning Community within the HASS Learning area by way of observations, feedback, data analysis and formative assessment practices.
The successful applicant will ideally possess a thorough understanding of the Western Australian Curriculum and Senior School Courses, and be able to lead an effective team of teachers focused on providing high quality teaching and learning. It would be highly desirable for applicants to have change management experience and be highly collaborative and team oriented.
Busselton SHS continually strives to be an outstanding, inclusive school that effectively responds to the needs of our community. We are committed to developing capable, empathetic and confident life-long learners who will contribute positively to society. This will be achieved through excellence in teaching and learning, developing respectful relationships and delivering an education that challenges and engages all of our students. Our actions are guided by four core values: Respect, Empathy, Achievement and Learning.
Our school is situated in a coastal town and is continuing to go through a positive transformation. We were established in 1958 and have served the community for over 60 years. The school is very progressive, with a stable, innovative leadership team and a loyal and dedicated staff. A number of opportunities for growth exist within the school. As an Independent Public School, our challenge is to plan for educational change in a rapidly evolving and growing community. We aim to provide educational relevance and opportunities for students within the town. Concurrently, the traditions and history of the school need to be honoured and preserved.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- The capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings
- A high level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs)
- The capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Busselton Senior High School can be found by visiting www.busseltonshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact David Gault, Associate Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Busselton, by telephoning (08) 9751 8900 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the school holidays please contact Mandy Carey, Associate Principal, on 0408 531 533.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 30 October 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.