Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SA598066
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2020 with possible extension and/or permanency
Are you an inspirational and experienced educational leader, committed to building a culture of excellence in teaching and learning?
The School of Isolated and Distance Education (SIDE) is seeking a proactive, enthusiastic and highly motivated leader committed to achieving the best educational outcomes for our students as Head of Learning Area (HOLA) Mathematics. The successful applicant will have a proven ability to successfully teach Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) Mathematics and have a record of improving student performance.
As HOLA Mathematics, you will have excellent organisational skills to plan and prioritise within the area of responsibility. For this role, you will ideally be an outstanding educator, possess a high level of interpersonal and public relations skills and a demonstrated capacity to lead and manage staff. You will need to be collaborative, innovative, knowledgeable and possess thorough understandings of instructional and curriculum leadership whilst keeping up-to-date with the latest developments relating to the Mathematics curriculum.
In the role of HOLA Mathematics, there is a requirement that you will have a sound understanding of instructional and curriculum design and the ability to foster professional excellence and quality teaching in staff to achieve student outcomes. In addition, it is necessary that you enthusiastically embrace the pedagogies associated with e-learning, therefore, highly effective information and communication technologies skills are an asset that you will bring to the position.
SIDE is the centre of distance and online learning within the Department of Education. SIDE provides quality education for a large and diverse student population who, for various reasons, cannot attend classes in a regular school or attend schools unable to offer a sufficient breadth of subjects. The school is a cutting-edge e-school and students are provided with broad and rich learning experiences that focus on academic excellence, via the use of interactive technologies. Teachers are expected to engage students in an online format and use synchronous (WebEx) and asynchronous (Moodle) technologies as the basis of active student instruction.
In order to meet the needs of a diverse group of students undertaking education through a distance mode, there is a requirement for flexibility in the delivery of education programs. This flexibility needs to be reflected through the staff working at SIDE embracing flexible working arrangements. The HOLA Mathematics needs to be prepared to work flexibly to enable the school to respond with the solutions required to meet the needs of the students accessing programs through SIDE. This includes working with, and visiting, partner schools as necessary.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about SIDE can be found by visiting www.side.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Steve Hoey, Deputy Principal by telephoning 0417 997 412 or emailing Stephen.Hoey@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch;
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 28 October 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED