Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA599587
This is a three (3) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2020 with possible twelve (12) month extension and/or permanency
Are you an inspirational and experienced educational leader committed to building a culture of excellence in teaching and learning?
Albany Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated individual to join their leadership team as a Head of Department – Mathematics
The Head of Department provides high quality leadership to staff within the Mathematics learning area. They demonstrate the ability to lead the development of innovative curriculum and practice to achieve strong student outcomes, and is accountable for the effective management of the Mathematics department in the school.
The successful applicant is a member of the school’s leadership team and, as such, provides educational leadership in the school and the community by assisting the Principal and members of the administrative team in developing and promoting the school vision and encouraging staff and community members to share ownership of the school’s vision and goals. The Head of Department will be a highly competent classroom teacher of Mathematics to Year 12 level, including both ATAR and General courses, and facilitates teaching and learning outcomes through effective performance management, and modelling and promoting a culture of improvement.
Albany SHS commenced in 1918 and has a long and proud tradition of producing outstanding graduates who excel in academic, sporting, artistic, leadership and personal pursuits. The school forms an integral part of the fabric of the Albany community and has strong bonds with generations of successful graduates. The city highly values the school's contribution to young people and capacity building the wider community through the endeavours of its young people. The school's values charter outlines the importance of respect, compassion, social justice and individual responsibility for all members of the school community. The embodiment of these values ensures a happy, safe and hardworking student body.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Albany Senior High School can be found by visiting www.albanyshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Jenny Firth, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9841 0444 or emailing Jennifer.Firth@education.wa.edu.au.
During the school holiday period, please contact Jenny Firth on (08) 0438 412 126.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch;
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 25 October 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.