Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS602462
Belmont City College is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated Laboratory Technicians for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year.
Suitable applicants will be highly motivated and possess the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as independently, to assist with the efficient operation of the Science Learning Area. You will be responsible for preparing chemicals, equipment and materials, designing and constructing teaching aids and collecting and caring for living organisms in compliance with chemical, physical and biological laboratory practices and legislative requirements. You will also organise preparation areas and classroom laboratories to ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff. Laboratory Technicians will be expected to undertake general housekeeping of chemicals, equipment (including repairs and maintenance), ordering supplies/equipment and assisting with stock management tasks. You will also liaise with Science teachers to determine scientific product needs in relation to experiments and identifying future purchase requirements of science equipment.
Modern facilities, set in the heart of the City of Belmont, provide the backdrop for our many innovative programs. At Belmont City College we pride ourselves on being able to give individualised care and attention to help each student reach their potential by developing their self-confidence, independence, knowledge and skills to take advantage of increasing opportunities beyond school. Our focus is on providing a safe and caring learning environment that encourages students to become self-motivated, independent learners who demonstrate awareness of our ethos of Preparedness, Positivity and Participation at all times. A strong pastoral care program supports the social and emotional needs of our students, whilst the diverse range of academic and life skills programs nurture academic excellence for all students.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well-developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Belmont City College can be found by visiting www.belmontcc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Kerry Clarke, Head of Department Maths and Science, by telephoning (08) 9479 2200 or emailing email@example.com.
During the school holidays please contact Kerry Clarke, Head of Department Maths and Science, on 0403 226 864.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 22 October 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.