Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE596513
This is a permanent full-time position commencing November, 2019
The Finance and Commercial Services Division is seeking to recruit a highly motivated and committed Principal Consultant Schools Finance Support in the School Financial Management and Support Branch.
The Principal Consultant Schools Finance Support provides leadership and strategic direction for the delivery of a comprehensive finance customer support service to WA government schools. The position oversees a team of finance consultants and customer support officers that respond to school queries, undertake assessments and provide advice, prepare guidelines and deliver training.
You will be responsible for customer and stakeholder management and liaison including monitoring and reporting of customer service statistics and performance measures. You will liaise with senior officers within central office, regional offices and schools to provide improvement and intervention measures to address financial management risks and provide advice and support to schools to integrate systems development and enhancements into the schools’ environment.
You will promote a culture supportive of innovation and continuous business process improvement, including identifying where systematic change and capacity building in schools is required, and addressing identified audit compliance needs. You will be responsible for providing support to the Directorate with the development and review of system-wide strategies, guidelines and standards.
Education Business Services (EBS) is the key provider of professional business services and support for Western Australian public schools, statutory boards and divisions of the Department. These highly valued services are delivered through the areas of finance, information communication and technologies (ICT), and infrastructure. We continually strive to enhance the capability and responsiveness of our staff, systems and processes across the organisation to deliver high quality education.
The School Financial Management and Support Branch is part of the Financial Services Directorate and is responsible for the provision of support to schools on all transactional and technical financial matters as well as finance policy support. The Branch will also has the responsibility for coordinating the schools’ financial systems and for providing training as required.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our branch for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Considerable understanding and knowledge of policy, procedures and accounting practices within the legislative framework, such as the Financial Management in Schools Policy and Procedures, School Education Act, State Supply Act, the Financial Management Act, Regulations and Treasurer’s Instructions and Tax legislations.
- Highly developed skills and experience in the management, ongoing development, implementation, quality assurance and delivery of a comprehensive finance and administration support service.
- Highly developed skills and experience in achieving outcomes and delivering quality projects and services consistent with customer needs and defined quality expectations, including timeliness.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills to undertake productive consultation, collaboration and negotiation and to build effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders on complex financial issues.
- Highly developed written communication skills, including extensive experience in preparing reports, briefing papers and responses to Senior Executive and/or Ministerial/Parliamentary requests.
- Highly developed analytical and conceptual skills to provide innovative solutions to complex problems.
- High-level understanding and skills in managing the planning, implementation, monitoring and review of professional development and training programs.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the branch may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further job related information:
Please contact John Jurkowski, Manager, by telephoning (08) 9264 4950 or emailing John. Jurkowski@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIRMENTS
- Hold a recognised tertiary qualification in Accounting, Business, Finance or related area
- Undertake frequent travel to schools and regional education offices
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance before commencing employment
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Department policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 14 October 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED