Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/DP596463
This is a four (4) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 4, 2019 with possible extension twelve (12) months
Are you looking for an exciting change?
Derby District High School (DHS) are seeking to appoint a dedicated and enthusiastic secondary Deputy Principal to join our friendly and highly committed team.
The successful applicant will use information systems to ensure accurate and timely reporting on school performance to inform school planning and decision-making and to ensure accountability for school performance. As the Deputy Principal you will lead curriculum and work with other members of the administration team to ensure literacy and numeracy programs cater for students of all levels of ability. You will assist the school to facilitate workforce effectiveness in leading and motivating staff in planning; directed at improving outcomes for students and the level of service delivered by the school. You will play a significant role in the daily management of staff and student wellbeing as well as organising relief for teachers and timetabling students.
The school is currently part of the Kimberley School’s Program and seeks staff to enact a targeted teaching approach as part of their overall teaching and learning programs. This role will require you to mentor and support staff in the implementation of this initiative with a strong focus on Explicit Direct Instruction.
Derby District High School is located in Derby which is situated at the southern end of King Sound in the Kimberley region of Western Australian. Derby is 220km east of Broome by road and is 2463km north of Perth. It was the first town settled in the Kimberley. Derby is well supported with a range of government infrastructures. Its location near the King Sound and a number of rivers provides for many boating and fishing recreational activities - but not swimming! Derby District High School is located in attractive and well maintained grounds and surroundings. With an enrolment of 670 students it provides an education program for students from Kindergarten to Year 12. The secondary enrolment is just under 250 students. Students attend the school from the town of Derby and outlying areas including the Aboriginal communities of Mowanjum and Pandanus. Students in Years 11 and 12 have access to a range of programs leading to secondary graduation.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Derby District High can be found by visiting Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Hilary Carruthers, Associate Principal, by telephoning (08) 9193 3000 or emailing Hilary.Carruthers@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for at least three (3) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 24 September 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.