Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS596506
Durham Road School are seeking to establish a pool for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2019 and 2020 school years. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements up to the end of Term 4, 2020.
Durham Road School is an Education Support School located in Bayswater, with four classrooms located off-site in Embleton. The school caters to students aged between four and eighteen years. Our curriculum focuses on communication, literacy, numeracy, human relationships (social skills, independent living skills and protective behaviours), functional academics (based on the WA Curriculum) and preparing for life post-school. We actively engage our parents in determining each student's priorities, through the Individual Education Planning process.
We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals who will support teachers, other education assistants and interagency specialists to educate students with moderate to severe intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, autism and sensory impairments Education Assistants support teachers to fulfil the Department of Education's main objective of high quality teaching and learning for all students. They assist in delivering planned educational programs and create supportive and inclusive learning environments.
In collaboration and under the direction of teachers Education Assistant - Special Needs perform tasks which require problem solving, decision making, organisational activities and employ strategies and processes to achieve student outcomes. Participation in activities within or outside the school may require the supervision of students without the presence of a teacher It is desirable for applicants to be familiar with the principles of Augmentative and Alternative Communication, Comprehensive Literacy, positive behaviour support, TEACCH and other relevant instructional methodologies.
You will support the teacher and students by assisting with the delivery of planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. In collaboration with the classroom teacher, and other professionals, you will assist with the achievement of educational outcomes. Under guidance, you will perform tasks requiring discretion in problem-solving, decision-making, and choosing methods and processes to facilitate the achievement of learning outcomes. Participation in activities within or outside the school may require the supervision of students without the presence of a teacher. It is desirable for applicants to be familiar with the principles of Applied Behavioural Analysis and/or other relevant instructional methods.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- The ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- The ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Durham Road School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Sharon Whiteford, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9271 0422 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 17 September 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.