Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS596066
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2020
Are you passionate about assisting teachers to help students reach their full potential?
Ridge View Secondary College (SC) is an Independent Public School (IPS) seeking to appoint a dedicated and highly competent Education Assistant – Special Needs with exceptional interpersonal skills.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you will assist students to develop confidence and a sense of well-being in a variety of educational settings. You will possess a calm, positive and professional manner and have the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues. In addition to the duties listed for an EA, you may at times be required to undertake the generic duties which under teacher direction include meeting the individual educational and care needs of students with a range of special needs – intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, sensory impairments (vision and hearing), autistic spectrum disorders and challenging behaviours. Ideally you will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to provide support to ensure the learning environment is inclusive and relevant.
The successful applicant will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as literacy and numeracy intervention programs. They will be able to demonstrate the delivery of planned education and have the capacity to contribute to, implement and evaluate a wide range of strategies as part of a student’s Individual Education Plan. A commitment to enhancing students’ learning opportunities through ongoing reflective classroom practice is essential as is a commitment to plan and engage in professional learning opportunities which includes collaboration with colleagues. You will show a willingness to contribute and maintain a team environment.
Ridge View SC’s motto, “Believe, Aspire, Pride” clearly articulates our vision of being a secondary school of choice for the local community. A commitment to the College’s emphasis on pastoral care and co-curricular programs will be essential as well as active promotion of the College’s vision, motto and values within the college and the wider community.
Ridge SC is a new and distinctive secondary college with state of the art facilities located in South Baldivis. The college opened in 2019 for Year 7 students and will cater for students in years 7-12 by 2024.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Ridge View Secondary College can be found by visiting www.ridgeviewsc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Tracey Hughes, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 9553 0700 or emailing Tracey.Hughes2@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 16 September 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.