Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS588551
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2019
Lake King Primary School (PS) is seeking an eager and reliable Education Assistant to join our school.
The successful applicant will have a high level of interpersonal skills to enable them to work collaboratively with staff members to meet the needs of students with special needs. They will ideally possess the knowledge and experience of working with students with a range of disabilities and learning difficulties and the ability to support student growth, both academically and socially, within the classroom setting. Suitable applicants will ideally have the knowledge of effective strategies to support students, combined with the ability to be highly organised and use initiative.
Situated in the Esperance District, Lake King is predominantly a farming area in the Shire of Lake Grace. It lies 45kms south of the town of Varley, 70kms north of Ravensthorpe town site, 65kms east of Newdegate, 265kms north-west of Esperance and 468kms south-east of Perth.
Our mission is to develop students' cognitive, social and physical skills so they can develop balanced attitudes to life, make sound judgements, enjoy a full range of social and cultural activities, maximise their employment opportunities and participate as responsible members of society.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Lake King PS can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Kaye Brownley, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Lake King, by telephoning (08) 9874 4018 or emailing Kaye.Brownley@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A (two) 2-page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 26 August 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.