Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA592579
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2019
Governor Stirling Senior High School (SHS), an Independent Public School, is seeking a committed and enthusiastic Head of Department – Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) to join their leadership team.
The Head of Department provides high quality leadership to staff within the HASS learning area (including LOTE). They demonstrate the ability to lead the development of innovative curriculum and practice to achieve strong student outcomes, and is accountable for the effective management of the HASS department in the school.
The successful applicant is a member of the school’s leadership team and, as such, provides educational leadership in the school and the community by assisting the Principal and members of the administrative team in developing and promoting the school vision and encouraging staff and community members to share ownership of the school’s vision and goals. The Head of Department will be a highly competent classroom teacher of HASS to Year 12 level, including both ATAR and General courses, and facilitates teaching and learning outcomes through effective performance management, and modelling and promoting a culture of improvement.
Governor Stirling SHS is one of the premier schools in Western Australia. Founded in 1959, the school has a rich history of student success and achievement in both the sporting and academic arenas. This tradition continues with an ongoing commitment to the achievement of personal best and excellence in all aspects of school life. Staff will be expected to reflect in their work a commitment to the school values of respect, personal excellence, tolerance, honesty and responsibility.
The school rebuilding program was completed in January 2013. The new school caters for students of varying abilities and backgrounds, offering the Gifted and Talented academic program, an extensive range of academic and Vocational Education and Training (VET) programs and Approved Specialist Programs in Engineering, Artsmedia and AFL Football. The school is equipped with excellent sporting facilities, including a gymnasium and weights room, modern science rooms, lecture theatre, commercial kitchen, wifi across the school and other state-of-the-art facilities.
Governor Stirling SHS prepares students for life after high school with many options for either academic or vocational pathways.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Governor Stirling SHS can be found by visiting www.govo.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Pasco Putrino, Principal, by telephoning (08) 6274 0300 or emailing Pasco.Putrino@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 26 August 2019.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.