Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS593763
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
East Manjimup Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year.
The school requires additional support staff to assist teachers with meeting the educational needs of students with disability. This may mean working one to one with students with high needs, requiring behaviour support or with groups of students. It would require a thorough understanding of the needs of students with various disabilities, and a high level of confidence to be able supervise children and assist with duty of care. It may require supporting teaching staff to communicate with families about children’s needs and supporting learning plans in place to address behaviour, attendance, social and emotional well-being, as well as academic goals.
Suitable applicants will be expected to assist students and teachers with the attainment of positive educational outcomes. This will require excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and collectively in a team environment. You will also be expected to embrace, learn from and act upon constructive feedback.
East Manjimup PS provides a family friendly rural setting with the school nestled between farm land and forest. Our wide open spaces, variety of play areas and equipment are enjoyed by all students. Modern school facilities, comprehensive technology resources and ability based learning programs contribute to making East Manjimup PS a school pursuing excellence.
The school has implemented a number of specialist programs, both academic and sports focussed, which promote and foster the personal excellence of each student as an individual. Furthermore, we have a very strong pastoral care program with a focus on developing and encouraging Values (Respect, Care & Compassion, Doing Your Best, Fair Go, Honesty & Trustworthiness, Integrity, Freedom, Responsibility, Understanding, Tolerance & Inclusion).
Our school also enjoys excellent community support with a small army of parent volunteers regularly (sometimes daily) engaged in the educational, sporting or social activities being undertaken. We strive to cultivate a very positive, encouraging and effective workplace. We are extremely proud of the strong ties between the school and the community.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- The ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- The ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about East Manjimup PS can be found by visiting www.eastmanjimup.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information;
You are encouraged to contact Michael Smith, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Manjimup, by telephoning (08) 9771 9200 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two to three (2-3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 September 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.