Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS590807
Do you want to make a positive difference in the lives of our students?
We are seeking to establish an Education Assistant – Special Needs pool for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2019 and 2020 school years. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2019 and 2020 school years.
Education Assistant - Special Needs are responsible for assisting teachers with preparing resources and programs that meet the learning needs of students with disabilities and to encourage these students to reach their individual goals. They also should be able to provide effective feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of student’s individual goals.
Suitable applicants will work with limited supervision or autonomously and will meet the requirements of a Level 3 Education Assistant. Applicants will ideally have skills in working with students using: Positive Behaviour support strategies, Applied Behaviour Analysis, communication pedagogies including Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) and Award Scheme Development and Accreditation Network (ASDAN). Applicants will be supporting students in the workplace and in the community. Suitable applicants will demonstrate skill in the use of information technology (IT) to assist teachers and students.
In addition, applicants should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive, inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students. You will ideally be organised and able to use your initiative to assist the teacher with the general care and well-being of students and maintenance of the learning environment. The West Coast Language Development Centre is a specialist Education Support facility that also includes the Statewide Speech and Language Service (Outreach) for the North Metropolitan (coastal schools) and the MidWest Educational Regions. The centre is located over four sites.
The West Coast Language Development Centre is a centre of excellence that provides specialist early direct intervention (for students), outreach (for schools and networks) and research and development services in the area of speech, language and associated literacy. The synergism and cohesion among service delivery, teaching and research leads to changes in classroom practice as knowledge increases, 'best practices' are identified, and service needs are recognised within the centre and across mainstream schools.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about West Coast Language Development Centre can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Lesley Riches, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 9401 5433 or emailing Lesley.Riches@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two  page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three  pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two  work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 23 August 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.