Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS593318
Mount Tarcoola Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and energetic Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2019 and 2020 school years. Placements can be made from the pool at any time for commencement up to the end of Term 4, 2020.
Education Assistant - Special Needs will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs. Suitable applicants will assist the teacher in the delivery of specific individual education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies. It is highly desirable that applicants possess or are actively working towards a Certificate III in Education Support.
Suitable applicants will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive, inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students. They will need to be organised and able to use your initiative to assist the teacher with the general care and well-being of students and maintenance of the learning environment.
Mount Tarcoola PS is located in a quiet suburb about 5km from the central business district of Geraldton. The school was established in 1978 to cater for students living in the southern suburbs of Geraldton and the Greenough hinterland. A feature of the school is its attractive grounds and quiet location.
Mount Tarcoola PS has a reputation as being a warm, friendly, welcoming school where manners, behaviour and dress standards are regarded as important.
A major focus of the school has been promoting cultural awareness and harmony and the participation of the various cultural groups in the school. The school has received several prestigious awards for its efforts in this area.
The school actively promotes and encourages parent participation and involvement in the life of the School. The Parents and Citizens' Association provides outstanding support. The school also has a highly active Pre School Committee that works closely with the early childhood classes at the school. Many hundreds of parents and extended family members join the school on numerous occasions throughout the year. These include regular school assemblies, Open Day and the End of Year Assembly and Graduation evening.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Mount Tarcoola Primary School can be found by visiting www.MtTarcoola.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Sharon Browning, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, by telephoning (08) 9968 1101 or emailing Sharon.Browning@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager).
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 15 August, 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.