Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
Fitzroy Valley District High School (DHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2019 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2020. Placements can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2019 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2020.
The school requires additional support staff to assist the teacher with meeting the educational needs of the students. This may mean working one to one with students with high needs, requiring behaviour support or with groups of students. It would require a level of confidence to be able supervise children and assist with duty of care. It may require supporting teaching staff to communicate with families about children’s needs and supporting learning plans in place to address behaviour, attendance, social and emotional well-being, as well as academic goals.
Fitzroy Crossing is a dynamic and exciting community with many positive initiatives. The school team is committed, enthusiastic and motivated and welcomes applications for individuals who want to work as part of a team.
Applicants must be reliable, have good communication skills and be a positive role model for the community. A driver’s license is an asset and local Aboriginal people are strongly encouraged to apply. It is highly desirable for suitable applicants to be able to work as part of a team and be focussed on solutions and have the confidence to engage with local community and families.
Fitzroy Valley DHS boasts a dynamic staff and is a fantastic place to work. Facilities are new and comfortable with the Fitzroy River only a short distance away, the work-life balance is a viable reality. Working at Fitzroy allows opportunities to further develop and the strong cultural background of the town brings a sense of adventure into every day.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Fitzroy Valley DHS can be found by visiting or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Stephen Traynor, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Fitzroy Crossing, by telephoning (08) 9193 0900 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for 2 work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 20 September 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.