Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS592310
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2019.
Are you passionate about educating students with specialised learning needs?
Eaton Community College is seeking a dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs to join their friendly team.
The successful applicant will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs. They will also assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. When required, they will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
The successful applicant will also be expected to assist the teacher or therapist to understand when there is communication difficulty between them and a student and, under teacher direction, provide feedback to caregivers/parents as to the student’s progress. Furthermore, they will be required to collect resources and administrative documents; manage classroom resources or the storeroom by maintaining and updating inventory lists, monitoring stock levels and requirements, and submit requisitions to the teacher for approval. They will also be expected to ensure the safe and hygienic storage and handling of foodstuffs and food preparation utensils.
Eaton Community College aims to address the emotional, social, intellectual and academic needs specific to young teenagers. The environment promotes in students a feeling of self-worth and confidence while also provided a quality educational experience.
The college site is adjacent to the Glen Huon Primary School and close to community facilities such as the Eaton Fair shopping centre, Dardanup Shire Offices and a community oval, placing it in the heart of the Eaton Community. The site contains significant wetlands of two hectares that form the focal point of the buildings, as well as spacious, well landscaped gardens and lawns that provide a beautiful and healthy environment for active, growing students.
The College shares a number of facilities with the Shire of Dardanup, incorporating a shared Library, Community Recreation Centre and shared ovals. With state of the art facilities, excellent teachers and engaging education programs, students at Eaton Community College will receive a high quality education that enables them to achieve their desired future.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- The ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- The ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Eaton Community College can be found by visiting www.eatoncc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Helene Fuller, Program Coordinator, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Eaton, by telephoning (08) 9796 7000 or emailing email@example.com .
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 16 August 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.