Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS592608
This is a permanent part-time (0.2FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2019
Do you want to make a positive difference in your local community?
Mount Margaret Remote Community School (RCS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Gardener - Handyperson to join their friendly team.
The Gardener - Handyperson will work as part of a team providing gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. You will be responsible for maintaining the presentation of the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The suitable applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as required, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
Mt Margaret Aboriginal Community is situated 32 kilometres south west of Laverton on an unsealed road and 330kms north east of WA's largest provincial city, Kalgoorlie. Mt Margaret was extensively mined for gold in the late 1800s and the original Mt Margaret Mission was established in the 1920s. The small community is run by AMOS (Aboriginal Movement for Outback Survival) with an elected chairperson and manager. The population of Mt Margaret is approximately 90. In 2004 a significant upgrade to the community saw the roads sealed and 8 modern new houses built. Power is supplied by diesel generators and water is obtained from a bore.
The present school facilities were established in 1978 and officially opened in 1982 and caters for Kindergarten to Year 6. The traditional language, Wangkatha, is taught as an integrated subject. The school maintains strong cultural values and ties with the community. The large school playground is enhanced by mature trees and neat garden and lawn areas. The students share the responsibility for maintaining the attractive environment.
Mt Margaret (RCS) has a strong values program based on the Australian Curriculum and the Plan for Government Schools and contextualised specifically for Mt Margaret School and Community. The school behaviour management plan reflects these values and the emphasis is on a collaborative approach in all aspects of student’s education.
The school and community have an excellent relationship with local mining companies who support the school in various ways, including our healthy lunch program and provide opportunities for employment. The school participates in the Stephanie Alexanda Kitchen Garden Program and has its own garden which is maintained by the students and community.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Mount Margaret Remote Community School please Schools Online
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Janet Currie, Manager Corporate Services, or further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Mount Margaret, by telephoning (08) 9092 0359 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Simply select from one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You will be asked to complete a series of questions which will become your online application. It is recommended you allow enough time to complete this process. Further instructions are available on the attached ‘How to Apply’ document.
- Visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8.30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff.
- Download the application form below and return it completed to the school reception or by emailing it to email@example.com
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and •
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 September 2019
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED