Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS585572
This is a four (4) month fixed term, part-time (0.46FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2019 with possible extension
Secret Harbour Primary School (PS) is seeking an Education Assistant – Special Needs that will be required to assist a pre-primary student newly diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.
The successful applicant will assist in the transition at school while the student learns to manage her diagnosis. The applicant needs to have experience working with a young student with Type 1 Diabetes in a primary school setting.
The 0.46FTE is worked over 5 days from 10.30am to 1.30pm with some flexibility to increase hours if the classroom teacher is absent.
The purpose of Secret Harbour Primary School is to develop the whole child by providing quality learning experiences in order that every student may become a positive contributing member to our society goals. Our school motto 'Leads the Way' has been embraced by the school community.
Secret Harbour is on the WA coast and is situated between the cities of Rockingham and Mandurah. Our open spaces, bush land, beaches, parks and lakes combined with a strong sense of community spirit make Secret Harbour an ideal place for families. We cater for students in Kindergarten to Year 6 and have students from many different countries and cultures. Students and staff are very welcoming and supportive of new families during transition. We have a Defence Force Transitional Aide to support Defence Force families in the school. The school includes a well-equipped library, wide computer access, arts and music facilities and a modern Early Childhood Centre. Families have the convenience of a school canteen and an on-site Dental Therapy Unit.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Secret Harbour Primary School can be found by visiting www.secretharbourps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Samantha Letch, Manager Corporate Services for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Secret Harbour by telephoning 0419 928 558 or emailing Samantha.Letch@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement of no more than four (4) pages addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 18 July 2018
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.