Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE590194
South Metropolitan Education Regional Office is seeking to establish a pool of Participation Support Officer’s for appointments to permanent and fixed term, part-time vacancies (up to 0.4 FTE) which may arise during the 2019 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2020. Placements can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2019 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2020.
The Participation Support Officer will provide case brokerage services to 15 to 17 year old students who are at risk of not making an effective transition into appropriate education, training and employment options, including researching and investigating appropriate pathways for students.
The suitable applicants will assist in the planning and implementation of interventions and provide a supportive link between the student, the family, the college/school and other appropriate agencies in the community whilst researching current issues for young people and support them to overcome barriers to participating and engaging in school or other approved alternate pathways as required. The Participation Support Officer will assist in the planning and implementation of Participation Team activities whilst participating in multi-disciplinary team meetings and case conferences with other agencies as appropriate, including the provision of information and consultancy advice as required. The suitable applicants will develop and maintain a record system whilst preparing and collating information that is used to monitor strategies and programs.
The South Metropolitan Education Region was formed from the Government’s regionalisation initiative to empower local school communities and give principals and staff a greater say in how regional services are delivered and used. The Region supports the Department’s priorities in Western Australia and commits to delivering, through schools and services, a full and engaging standard of public education, supportive of parents, students and teachers.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of youth, education and training services, particularly in relation to at risk compulsory school-aged students.
- Demonstrated sound verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to deal effectively with a wide range of individuals at all levels.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in working with individual or small groups of students experiencing difficulties, particularly in relation to at risk 15 to 17 year olds.
- Demonstrated sound conceptual and analytical skills, including the ability to think clearly and solve problems autonomously.
- Demonstrated sound organisation skills with the ability to use initiative to meet competing priorities.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the branch may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further job related information
Please contact Benjamin Johnstone, Participation Coordinator by telephoning 0422517191 or emailing Benjamin.Johnstone@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
All applications are submitted online. Simply select “Apply for Job”, located at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- hold a current ‘C’ class drivers licence;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 17 July 2019.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED