Please note that as on 7:45am Monday, 8 July 2019 the application instructions have been updated.
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA586056
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2019 or Term 1, 2020 through negotiation
Are you an inspirational and experienced educational leader committed to building a culture of excellence in teaching and learning? Are you looking for a professionally rewarding career at a newly opened secondary school?
Harrisdale Senior High School (SHS) seeks to appoint a Head of Department (HoD) – Science Learning Area with the experience, dedication and drive to develop a culture of excellence in teaching and learning in Science Learning Area.
The successful applicant will be a key member of the school leadership team. He/she will be excited at the unique opportunity to lead development of the Science Learning Area at a new secondary school and in collaboration with the teaching team. The HoD – Science will ideally be an expert classroom practitioner with a passion for Science and the capacity to build a culture of excellence in teaching that supports the learning needs of all students. He/she will have the experience to lead staff and curriculum development in the Learning Area, and will ideally demonstrate a range of classroom teaching methods including explicit, direct instruction. He/she will share a commitment to the school’s emphases on pastoral care and co-curricular programs and will actively promote the school’s vision, mission and values in the school and community.
Harrisdale SHS opened in 2017 at Year 7 level. The school is growing one year group at a time until the first cohort reaches Year 12 in 2022. Located approximately 28 kilometres from the Perth CBD in the City of Armadale, Harrisdale SHS services the growing population in Perth’s south-eastern corridor.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Harrisdale Senior High School can be found by visiting harrisdaleshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Leila Bothams, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9397 8000 or emailing Leila.Bothams@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch.
- A CV pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for your work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 29 July 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.