Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS587493
This is a six (6) month fixed term, part-time (0.75FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2019 with possible extension and/or permanency
Are you ready to put your communication skills to the test and take on new challenges?
Eastern Goldfields College is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and motivated Laboratory Technician to join their friendly team.
The successful applicant will be highly motivated and possess the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as independently, to assist with the efficient operation of the Science Learning Area. They will prepare chemicals, equipment and materials, design and construct teaching aids and collect and care for living organisms for study purposes in compliance with chemical, physical and biological laboratory practices and legislative requirements.
If successful, you will, organise preparation areas and classroom laboratories to ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff and undertake general housekeeping of chemicals, equipment (including repairs and maintenance), ordering supplies/equipment and assisting with stock management tasks. This role will require you to liaise with Science teachers to determine scientific product needs in relation to experiments and identifying future purchase requirements of science equipment. Work days will be Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8.00 am to 3.30pm.
Eastern Goldfields College is a progressive Independent Public School which caters for students in Year 11 and 12. As a senior college, we encourage our students to take ownership of their learning and achieve their very best. The College exits in a unique and diverse educational domain. It shares facilities with Central Regional TAFE (Kalgoorlie campus) and the WA School of Mines (WASM). It is the College vision for our students to achieve high academic, vocational and social standards by fully embracing the learning opportunities that the co-located site provides.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Eastern Goldfields College can be found by visiting www.egc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Gordana Grubelich, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kalgoorlie, by telephoning (08) 9092 3124 or emailing Gordana.Grubelich@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include
- At least a 2 page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to 3 pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Hold or obtain a current Working with Children Check;
- Hold a Certificate III in Laboratory Skills or equivalent qualification or experience; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 16 July 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.