Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS583337
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2019
Marangaroo Primary School (PS) are seeking a caring and dedicated individual to fill the role of Education Assistant – Special Needs.
The successful applicant will work in an inclusive, supportive team assisting students to work to their potential in both the specialist learning program homerooms and the integrated class settings across the school. Discretion is exercised in monitoring and subsequently withdrawing assistance to allow students to independently integrate into the learning environment.
To be successful in this role you will possess knowledge and understanding of evidence-based strategies within the framework of Applied Behaviour Analysis as well as a well-developed understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorder. You will have effective interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively and contribute to a professional team in assisting in the implementation of education programs, as well as high level organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers. In addition to this, you will have effective written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs. Sound computer skills and the ability to create student resources are also desirable.
Marangaroo PS is a welcoming school that embraces diversity and individualised learning. An Independent Public School since 2012, the school fosters a culture of innovation to build and develop our instructional core. We are committed to ensuring that every child progresses and success is within everyone's reach.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Marangaroo Primary School can be found by visiting www.MarangarooPrimarySchool.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Taylor Webb, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9462 9999 or emailing Taylor.Webb@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) referees work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday 21 June 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.