Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS572606
Are you passionate about assisting teachers to help students reach their full potential?
Baynton West Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise from Term 1, 2019 up to the end of Term 1, 2020. Placements can be made from the pool at any time for commencements from Term 1, 2019 up to the end of Term 1, 2020.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will work with students with disabilities and additional learning needs. You will also be friendly, cohesive, student focussed and team spirited. Suitable applicants will require good communication skills and work cohesively or individually as required.
Suitable applicants you will perform tasks that require judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. Through previous experience, you will ideally demonstrate the delivery of planned education programs and contribute in the evaluation process for special education. You will possess good written and oral communication skills which will help assist teachers and therapists when assisting students.
Baynton West is a new suburb of Karratha in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. In the local Aboriginal language, Karratha is said to mean 'Sacred Earth'. The town is situated in the Shire of Roebourne.
Karratha's economic base includes the iron ore operations of the Rio Tinto Group, sea-salt mining, ammonia export operations, North West Shelf Natural Gas Project, Australia's largest natural resource development and the newest Natural Gas Project.
Karratha is located approximately 1,500 kilometres north of Perth and 850 kilometres south of Broome on the North West Coastal Highway. Karratha is composed of nine main suburbs of which Baynton West is the newest.
Baynton West PS opened as an Independent Public School in 2013. This community is passionate about the Independent Public School initiative and each staff member has been locally selected as a result.
The local intake area for Baynton West PS includes the established suburb of Baynton, as well as the new suburb of Baynton West and the newly developed Madigan estate. Situated within a new suburb, the school has become a central focal point for the community. Surrounded by the new homes in the area, roads radiate out through the community with the school at the central hub of this 'wheel'. There is a large playground and community oval shared by the shire and the school which adds even more emphasis on the school being central to the community.
The school has a strong vision that encompasses that children are the heart of the school; each child and their family is integral to the school community and the motto of 'growth and inspiration' relates to each child being supported to reach their potential, in partnership with the school, their families and the wider community.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Baynton West Primary School can be found by visiting www.bwps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Justine Passmore, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9185 3001 or emailing Justine.Passmore@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
You are required to attach a personal resume and covering letter outlining your skills and experiences in relation to the position. It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students are required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or equivalent), consistent with the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care, as determined by the Principal.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 26 February 2019.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.