Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS572708
Are you passionate about educating students with specialised learning needs?
Eaton Primary School is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2019 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2020. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2019 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2020.
The role of the Education Assistant – Special Needs is to support our rapidly increasing enrolments of students with SEN. The suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers; and, under teacher direction, implement individual or small group programs or demonstrations. They will assist with the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment by maintaining equipment, materials and resources, for use in classes, displays and demonstration, and assisting the teacher with clean and safe storage of items after classes and activities.
Suitable applicants will assist the teacher with the care and supervision of students in out-of-class activities and on school excursions. To be successful in this role you will foster the participation of students with special needs in the academic and social experiences of the school. You will support the students to become more independent learners. In this role you will also help raise the standards of learning for your student and other students of the class in a safe and supportive environment. At Eaton Primary School we promote positive behaviour and assist students to engage in learning.
Eaton students achieve close to or above state averages on all measures of literacy and numeracy and staff have developed a strong reputation for quality programs supporting pastoral care. The school was one of the first primary schools in the state to employ a school chaplain, and with a successful social skills program, it continues as the foundation of a caring and responsive approach to student welfare. Health and physical education based programs form an important part of the school's approach with strong links to self-esteem, values and social skills programs. Eaton PS has also maintained a high profile locally with its excellent programs linking the use of computers with learning across the curriculum.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Eaton Primary School can be found by visiting www.eatonps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Karl Moll, Associate Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Eaton, by telephoning (08) 9796 2600 or emailing Karl.Moll@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
You are required to attach a personal resume and covering letter outlining your skills and experiences in relation to the position. It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 18 February 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.