The Department of Communities brings together the services and functions of disability services, child protection and family support, housing, youth justice, community initiatives and regional services reform.
About the Central Intake Team
A centrally based intake team located within the wider Statewide Referral and Response Service completing work at Interaction and Initial Inquiry level for all new reports of concern for children. The Central Intake Team operates across all metropolitan districts and is located in East Perth
The Senior Child Protection Worker works in the areas of child protection, children in care and family support and is responsible for:
- Responding to concerns regarding the safety and wellbeing of children and applying the provisions of the Children and Community Services Act 2004.
- Taking legal action to promote the safety and wellbeing of children where necessary.
- Undertaking case work activities of a complex nature.
- Providing services to children placed in the care of the CEO.
- Providing advice and expertise to District staff on the child safety and protection issues.
- Assisting and planning with District staff and others to develop community and family capacity to provide a safe environment for children and other vulnerable people.
- Developing and maintaining a high degree of knowledge and skills in providing services and supports to families and communities to enhance the safety and wellbeing of children and other vulnerable members of the community.
- Investigating serious concerns about the welfare and safety of children and taking action appropriate to the situation.
The attached Job Description Form (JDF) provides more information about the position. For further information we encourage you to contact Caroline Richardson, Team Leader, on (08) 9223 1125.
Suitable applicants will be placed in a pool from which appointments will be made for this or similar future vacancies (fixed term or permanent) that arise within the next 12 months across the Department of Communities.
You cannot be considered for this pool unless you have a completed university degree in:
- Bachelor of Social Work;
- Bachelor of Psychology; or
- relevant Human Services area.
NOTE: If you have a relevant Human Services qualification you will need to supply unit descriptions/summaries for assessment against the Qualifications Framework.
All overseas qualifications must be assessed for Australian equivalency. Each qualification must be assessed individually, and the assessment must confirm the equivalent Australian qualification level (i.e. equivalent to a Bachelors or Masters degree). This assessment can be conducted by Overseas Qualification Unit, AEI-NOOSR or AASW, and the outcome evidence must be provided at the time of applying.
Please note: The assessment undertaken by these organisations is strictly for migration/ visa purposes. As an employer, the Department is required to assess the qualifications on their own merit. This will be done in line with the Child Protection Qualifications Framework.
Join Department of Communities
Apply online by clicking the ‘Apply for Job’ button (above and below) and provide the following documents in Word or PDF format only:
- A current resume/CV
- A two (2) page written application addressing 1,2,3 and 4 essential selection criteria/role related requirements criteria as stated on the JDF
- An application form (for hard copy applications only)
Applicants who are short listed will be assessed on all the selection criteria/role related requirements during the selection process.
For technical difficulties while applying online or general recruitment enquiries please contact Christine Buchan, HR Consultant on (08) 9345 9704.
Equality and Diversity
Department of Communities is striving towards breaking down barriers for all West Australians through eliminating all forms of discrimination in the provision of our service delivery. The agency embraces diversity and firmly believes that the best services come from a workplace where varied viewpoints are welcomed and encouraged every day.
Lodgement is system generated, any submissions on or after 4:00pm will not be accepted
LATE OR EMAIL APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
- Application Form
- Cover letter for all job applications.pdf
- Information for Applicants
- jdf senior child protection worker.docx
You can view and print these PDF attachments by downloading Adobe Reader.