Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SA558482
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2019
Northam Senior High School is seeking a passionate and committed Head of Department - Physical Education to work as an integral member of the school leadership team.
As the successful applicant you will possess excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to lead and manage a vibrant Health and Physical Education team to provide students with the highest quality curriculum delivery and programs. The Northam Community, like many regional towns, places a high priority on sport and an applicant who has an ability to develop innovative programs to support retention at Northam Senior High School would be highly valued. Demonstrated skills in leading a team of beginning and experienced teachers through mentoring and coaching would be advantageous. Having knowledge of, and experience in, implementing the Western Australian Curriculum and WACE courses with an emphasis on accurate assessment methodology is desirable. As part of the school planning processes, there will be a priority on coordination of programs and activities with staff from our Clontarf Academy, Wirrpanda Girls Program, Follow the Dream Program and Alternative Programs to engage students at Northam SHS.
Northam SHS, opened in 1921, is one of the oldest Senior High Schools in Western Australia. The school has a proud record of achievement in ATAR and VET programs which is strongly supported by Central Regional TAFE - Northam. Northam SHS has a strong academic and training focus with a number of varying programs available to all our students.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Northam Senior High School can be found by visiting Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Mary Anne Morgan, Deputy Principal by telephoning (08) 9621 0000 or emailing Mary.Anne.Morgan@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
You are required to attach a personal resume and covering letter outlining your skills and experiences in relation to the position. It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 21 November 2018
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED