Do you have legal experience leading and managing teams within a paralegal environment?
The State Solicitor's Office, one of WA's leading law firms, is seeking to recruit developing leaders of the paralegal industry to shoulder the responsibilities of managing day to day work within busy paralegal teams in primarily the litigation area. Potential opportunities may also become available in the Land Claim and Commercial teams during the term of this pool.
If you have experience managing within a legal team environment and have sound experience within the paralegal profession, please apply.
Those successful in gaining a position in the recruitment pool may be offered a fixed term contract of six months or less with possible extension or possible permanency.
It is important that you carefully read the role, responsibilities and work related requirements included in this information package and use the information provided to write your response.
Though you do not need to address all the work related requirements at this stage the panel will assess your suitability for the pool positions against each of them at various stages during the selection process
Though these positions do not require the occupant to hold formal qualifications it is reasonable to expect that the applicant:
- has or is undertaking some form of related study;
- is experienced in the management of teams within a legal environment;
- will have sound knowledge and experience in the management of legal matters;
- has a proven, sound working knowledge and experience in procedural law relevant to Civil Litigation.
Please note, this role does not meet the work placement requirements for a law graduate diploma in legal practice. Information on our Office's Law Graduate Program is available on the State Solicitor's pages on the Department of Justice's website (www.justice.wa.gov.au) and further information can be obtained from the Workforce Coordinator on 9264 1005.
About the Office
The State Solicitor's Office is the longest standing legal office in Perth having been established in 1838.
The Office is highly regarded as a leading legal service provider offering a broad range of legal services to the West Australian State Government and Ministers, and to over 120 client departments, instrumentalities and statutory corporations.
Under the leadership of the State Solicitor, the Office:
- Provides legal advice
- Conducts litigation
- Conducts government commercial and conveyancing matters
- Provides representation as counsel in courts and tribunals
- Prepares legal documents
Centrally located in the Perth CBD, we have a staff contingent of approximately 148 lawyers and over 80 support staff.
We offer a wide variety of personal and professional benefits, information on the benefits of working with us is available from the “What We Offer” section on our website.
Work Related Requirements
Please read the Job Description Form (JDF) for more information about the work related requirements of this position. Appointment to a role with the Department of Justice is conditional upon obtaining an employment screening clearance, which includes a National Criminal History Check and any other relevant checks.
Further Job Related Information
If you are interested in the position and would like further information on the role, contact Eugene Ashe, Senior Managing Law Clerk on (08) 9264 1888 for a confidential discussion. Information about applying and submitting your application is available on our website.
How To Apply
The Department requests applicants to submit an on-line application using the ‘Apply for Job’ button below. As part of your online application you will be prompted to complete relevant personal information and to attach the following information as part of your application:
To apply please provide:
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) A4 pages outlining your knowledge and experience in the management of complex legal matters and relevant procedural law and your ability to effectively manage people and resources within a legal environment, including how the leadership style you adopt promotes a positive, proactive and client focused approach
- A current resume providing details of paralegal and management experience along with the contact details of two current referees.
All work related requirements as listed in the application package will be assessed at some stage of the selection process.
Successful applicants will be placed in a recruitment pool from which offers of employment for this and other similar positions may be made over the next twelve months.
- Applications received after the closing date/time OR applications sent to us by email cannot be accepted.
- As we prefer to contact you by email for any interview or other matter, you are encouraged to apply online and provide a current valid e-mail address.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Department upholds a working environment that is free from discrimination in accordance with Equal Opportunity legislation.